Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition

    August 21, 2026

    Eskom blacklists 101 suppliers in fraud, corruption crackdown

    August 21, 2026

    Life sentence for man who murdered Hennenman taxi owner

    April 10, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    The Free Stater
    • Home
    • News
    • Local
    • National
    • Property
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
      • Audio
    The Free Stater
    Home»Local»Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition
    Local

    Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition

    The Free StaterBy The Free StaterAugust 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Free State Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    THE Free State High Court has ordered Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae to decide within 30 days whether Gaboilelwe Moroka should be formally recognised as Kgosi of the Barolong Boo Seleka Traditional Community, ruling that the prolonged failure to deal with her recognition was unlawful.

    Judges P.E. Molitsoane and C. Reinders reviewed and set aside the Premier’s failure to take a decision on Moroka’s recognition and remitted the matter to the Premier for determination under the Free State Traditional Leadership and Governance Act.

    The Premier was also ordered to pay the applicants’ legal costs, including the costs of two counsel where employed.

    Moroka, who is currently recognised as Motshwaredi, or Regent, was identified by the Barolong Boo Seleka Royal Family Council as Kgosi at a meeting on 24 April 2024.

    Two days later, the council formally asked the Premier to recognise her as senior traditional leader.

    The application was the latest chapter in a leadership dispute stretching back decades and involving competing claims over the legitimate royal lineage of the Barolong Boo Seleka.

    Moroka claims her entitlement through the Tshipinare lineage, while fifth respondent Archibald Letshego Moroka disputed her genealogy and argued that customary succession was based on male primogeniture.

    He maintained that, as the son of the late Kgosi Sehunelo Kingsley Moroka and a direct descendant of Kgosi Moroka II, he was entitled to the position.

    The court, however, stressed that the case before it was not about deciding who should ultimately occupy the throne, but whether the Premier had lawfully discharged the statutory duty to deal with the Royal Family’s identification.

    Molitsoane said the power to identify a Kgosi rested with the Royal Family, while the Premier’s role was to consider and act upon that identification in accordance with the legislation.

    The judgment noted that the Premier’s office acknowledged the April 2024 request and later sought clarity about the status of an heir previously referred to when Moroka was appointed Regent.

    Further correspondence followed, but no decision was made.

    The court found there could be no dispute that the Royal Family had identified Moroka and communicated its decision to the Premier.

    It said the history of non-engagement had affected both Moroka and the community.

    Under the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act, an administrator’s failure to make a decision which they are legally obliged to take is reviewable.

    The court said the Premier could not simply remain silent.

    If there were concerns that the identification had not complied with customary law or customary processes, the Act provided mechanisms for the Premier to refer the matter to the Provincial House of Traditional Leaders or back to the Royal Family.

    While Moroka asked the court effectively to grant the recognition itself, the judges declined to substitute their own decision for that of the Premier.

    Given that the underlying chieftainship dispute remained unresolved, the court held that the appropriate remedy was to send the matter back to the Premier for a decision.

    The judgment was delivered on 5 August 2026 following a hearing on 20 October 2025.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    The Free Stater
    • Website
    • Facebook

    Breaking news and more

    Related Posts

    Eskom blacklists 101 suppliers in fraud, corruption crackdown

    August 21, 2026

    Life sentence for man who murdered Hennenman taxi owner

    April 10, 2026

    70-year-old Free State retail robbery kingpin gets 25 years

    March 25, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss
    Local

    Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition

    THE Free State High Court has ordered Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae to decide within 30 days…

    Eskom blacklists 101 suppliers in fraud, corruption crackdown

    August 21, 2026

    Life sentence for man who murdered Hennenman taxi owner

    April 10, 2026

    70-year-old Free State retail robbery kingpin gets 25 years

    March 25, 2026
    Demo
    Top Posts

    R429-million housing claim hits brick wall

    February 5, 2025120K Views

    #SopaFS2025 | Free State poised for economic expansion, says premier

    February 22, 2025730 Views

    Free State makes big strides in cutting unemployment 

    November 13, 2025270 Views

    Jealousy: the dark side of academia in SA

    March 4, 2025251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    The Free Stater is an independent English-language newspaper published in and for the Free State province of South Africa that offers authoritative and trusted journalism cutting across various quality-of-life issues.

    Email Us: editor@thefreestater.co.za
    Contact: +27 76 183 2923

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition

    August 21, 2026

    Eskom blacklists 101 suppliers in fraud, corruption crackdown

    August 21, 2026

    Life sentence for man who murdered Hennenman taxi owner

    April 10, 2026
    Most Popular

    Eskom blacklists 101 suppliers in fraud, corruption crackdown

    August 21, 20260 Views

    Premier ordered to decide Barolong Boo Seleka chieftainship recognition

    August 21, 20260 Views

    Bloemfontein woman ‘kills’ landlord while fighting over unpaid rent

    October 15, 20214 Views

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.