Connect with us

Local

ANC Free State promises to fix branches after court ruling

Published

on

RE-ARRANGING PARTY STRUCTURES . . . ANC Free State IPC provincial coordinator Paseka Nompondo

The ANC Free State Interim Provincial Committee (IPC) says it is on course to establishing branches as outlined in a roadmap to reorganise all branches in the province by mid-August.

IPC provincial coordinator Paseka Nompondo said this after reaching an agreement on Friday with disgruntled ANC members who approached the Free State High Court on an urgent basis seeking to have the party structure disbanded.

The members, who are from the Mangaung region, argued that the continued existence of the Interim Regional Committee (IRC) of Mangaung was unconstitutional.

But the matter was never argued in court as planned after the feuding sides reached agreement before the court sat.

Advocate Dali Mpofu – on behalf of Ditabe Mokhutle, Nozenza Cezulu and Thabiso Petrus Selienane – told Judge Corné van Zyl that the parties had agreed that the IPC would not dissolve any branch ahead of the provincial conference.

The date for the provincial conference, which much be held before December, is yet to be determined.

In their court papers, the trio said the ANC had breached its own constitution by delaying branch and regional conferences, allowing interim leaders to run party affairs in the province.

They argued, in particular, that the appointment of an interim regional structure in Mangaung by the IPC was unlawful and invalid and wanted the decision to be reversed.

The party has admitted that the branches of the province are not in good standing and urgent measures were needed to change the situation.

“We expect to reconstitute the Interim Regional Committees very soon, as their mandates have lapsed, and ensure that they assist in taking branches to their conferences,” said Nompondo in a statement.

“We appeal to all members to obey guidelines for the conferences and the ANC constitution so that we enable all members to participate in processes,” he urged party supporters.

The disgruntled members said they resorted to the legal route after the party ignored them when they initially raised their concerns.

Nompondo said the IPC welcomes the judgment, saying it re-emphasised the ANC’s constitutional prescripts that put the powers to establish and disestablish branches in the hands of the provincial structure.

“The IPC welcomes the outcome as it re-emphasises its previously taken decision to reconstitute the interim structures in all the regions and the branches, where such are dysfunctional and not in line with the spirit of unity and renewal . . . such powers only reside with the IPC,” said Nompondo.
According to the party roadmap, all branch conferences in the province should be conducted by mid-August.

The cut-off date for finalisation of membership is the end of July 2022. – Staff Reporter

Local

Two Free State women allegedly killed by ‘druggie’ sons

Published

on

SHOCKING MURDER . . . A 65-year-old woman was allegedly stabbed with a sharp object by her 28-year-old son after she failed to give him money to buy drugs

Two women from Mangaung have allegedly been attacked and killed in two separate incidents by their own sons believed to be using drugs.

In the latest incident which happened in Kagisanong along Masike Street at the weekend, a 65-year-old woman was allegedly stabbed with a sharp object by her 28-year-old son after she failed to give him money to buy drugs.

Police spokesperson for Mangaung Metro Lieutenant Colonel Thabo Covane said in the woman died on the scene from the stab wounds.

“The victim had visible multiple stab wounds on the head and body,” he said, adding the matter was reported by the brother to the deceased, who was also attacked by the suspect who is now in police custody.

Covane said the complainant informed the police that the suspect is believed to be using drugs and had asked his now deceased mother for money to buy drugs but she told him that she didn’t have money.

“The suspect got angry, went out of the house, came back with a piece of iron and stabbed the deceased with it several times,” he explained.

“When he was done, he turned to the complainant and also stabbed him on the chest.”

Covane said the uncle survived the attack but the daring suspect locked them inside the house and had to wait until Friday morning to get help.

The suspect was later traced and arrested by the police.
He is expected to appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court this Monday facing charges of murder and attempted murder.

In a similar case, a 42-year-old man will be applying for bail at the Botshabelo Magistrates Court on the same day after allegedly strangling to death his 71-year-old mother last Sunday, August 7, 2022 in the E-Section, Botshabelo.

The suspect is also said to history of substance abuse.

Free State acting provincial police commissioner, Major General Modise, condemned the killing of the two elderly women. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading

Local

Magashule loses ConCourt bid to reverse ANC suspension

Published

on

APPLICATION DISMISSED . . . The Constitutional Court says Ace Magashule has no prospects of successfully appealing his suspension as ANC secretary-general

Former Free State premier Ace Magashule has lost his latest court bid to have his suspension as ANC secretary-general lifted.

He had approached the Constitutional Court seeking to have his temporary ousting from Luthuli House reversed.

In a judgment handed down on Wednesday, the apex court said Magashule had no prospects of successfully appealing his suspension.

“The Constitutional Court has considered the application for condonation and the application for leave to appeal. It has concluded that, although there are no reasonable prospects of success on the merits of the application for leave to appeal, the delay in bringing the application for leave to appeal is minimal,” the court said.

Magashule first approached the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg to challenge his suspension, but the matter was dismissed with costs.

He subsequently approached the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA), which dismissed the application in January 2022, prompting him to take up his case with the Constitutional Court.

Magashule was suspended from the ANC in May 2021 because of the party’s step-aside rule.

The rule requires ANC members facing criminal charges to step aside while their court cases are under way.

Magashule is facing corruption charges linked to the Free State asbestos corruption scandal. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading

Local

Municipal manager facing tender fraud charges granted bail

Published

on

THE ACCUSED . . . Maluti-a-Phofung municipal manager Futhuli Patrick Mothamaha is out on bail

Maluti-a-Phofung municipal manager Futhuli Patrick Mothamaha, 49, was on Friday released on a bail of R500 000 by the Phuthaditjhaba Magistrates Court after he was arrested by The Hawks for fraud, corruption and Contravention of the Municipal Finance Management Act.

The state alleges that he allegedly awarded a contract of R58 million to Kill Crime Security Company in 2020 without following proper procurement processes.

National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Phaladi Shuping said Mothamaha allegedly signed a service level agreement on May 19, 2020, appointing the company to render security services to the municipality for a period of three months without following procurement processes.

“The municipality continued to pay Kill Crime Security Company for almost two years without a contract,” said Shuping.

He said Mothamaha was supposed to appear with his co-accused, father and daughter who are the owners of Kill Crime Security, Thabiso, 55, and Dimakatso Sekhosana, 29, on Monday after they were instructed by The Hawks to hand themselves over on Sunday, but he failed to do so.

The Sekhosanas appeared on Monday facing similar charges and were released on bail of R150 000 each.

Part of Mothamaha’s bail conditions are that he must not enter the offices of the municipality, not interfere with the investigations nor intimidate witnesses.

The case was postponed to September 30 for further investigations. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2022. The Free Stater. All Rights Reserved