Connect with us


Police probe link to deadly QwaQwa attack after victim turns gun on alleged robbers



Staff Reporter

Free State police have launched an investigation to establish if three suspects who were overpowered by one of the men they were trying to rob in QwaQwa on Monday could be linked to another robbery which left three students dead in the same area last week. 

One of the alleged robbers was injured after his gun went off during a tussle with the victim. He then shot and injured the other suspect after he took control of the firearm. 

“I have instructed the investigating team to look into the possible involvement of this group in the shooting of students which took place a week back in the same area of QwaQwa,” said the provincial police commissioner, Lieutenant General Baile Motswenyane in a statement.

The statement, which was issued on Tuesday by provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Motantsi Makhele, said two suspects believed to be under 30 were arrested in the Phazama section of Phamong Village after they were allegedly shot and wounded by a victim they were trying to rob.

It is alleged that at about 22:00 on Monday, the two victims were sitting separately in their rented rooms when they were attacked. 

According to the police, one of the victims was busy on his laptop while sitting on his bed when he was surprised by two suspects.

One of them was armed with a firearm and other one had a knife. 

“They robbed him his laptop, carry bag and a small amount of cash and left his room,” said Makhele. 

It is further alleged that the suspect who was carrying the firearm proceeded to the second room where he ransacked it in the presence of the owner who was seating and drinking a beer. 

“He demanded money from him but didn’t have any. Upon seeing that the suspect was concentrating on searching his room, he took a beer bottle and hit him on the head,” Makhele explained. 

The two both wrestled for the firearm which then went-off and wounded the suspect.

“Apparently, there was a third suspect who was waiting outside who fired a shot into the house upon hearing gunshot. The complainant allegedly returned fire and… wounded him and he fell on the ground outside. The third suspect who was in possession of a knife fled the scene,” said the police spokesperson. 

The injured suspects were immediately arrested and are under heavy police guard in hospital.

Two 9mm pistols without serial numbers were seized. 

The pair is expected to appear before Tseki Magistrate Court as soon as they recover.

They will face charges of house robbery, possession of an unlicenced firearm and ammunition as well as attempted murder. 

Last week, two UFS students at the QwaQwa campus were killed after three suspects pounced on them while they were having drinks as a group at their rented off-campus residence in the early hours of Wednesday. 

According to the police, the three suspects in balaclavas demanded cash, laptops and cellphones from the students. 

Two students were shot and killed on the spot during the robbery.

Two others were rushed to Mofumahadi Manapo Regional Hospital in a critical condition.

The other student succumbed to his injuries the following day.  

It was eventually confirmed that one of those who died on the scene was a student at the University of the Free State.

The other one was studying at a local college in the area. 

This means a total of three students died as a result of the attack, two of which are from the UFS. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Ngwathe pays Eskom to fix damaged line



BLACKOUT . . . The Ngwathe electrical network tripped on Friday and damaged Eskom’s equipment due to overloading

Ngwathe Local Municipality in the northern Free State has paid R1.1-million to Eskom so it can repair damages to the power line in the area caused by overloading.

Eskom provincial spokesperson Stefanie Jansen van Rensburg said in a statement the payment was made on Monday morning and work to restore supplies to Parys and Vredefort has started.

“Repairs to the Eskom equipment will now commence,” said Van Rensburg.

“Based on the assessments of the damage, supply to Ngwathe should be restored by midnight tonight,” she added.

The spokesperson however said the initial repairs were focusing on the hot connections and will only be temporary to assist communities.

Another outage will be scheduled to repair the transformer bushings that were also damaged during the overloading incident.

The Ngwathe electrical network tripped on Friday and damaged Eskom’s equipment due to overloading.

“Since 2018, Eskom has warned Ngwathe that their continued exceedance of their Notified Maximum Demand (NMD) – the contracted amount of electricity supplied by Eskom to the Municipality – will eventually result in damage to the Eskom network and that the municipality needs to apply for an upgrade in their NMD.

“In August 2021 and in April 2022, Eskom informed the municipality that any damage to the Eskom network that is caused by the municipality’s negligence, will be at the municipality’s cost.

“The municipality agreed to this condition and, although they were well informed and aware of the risks, they did not take the necessary precautions or made sufficient efforts to upgrade their NMD,” Van Rensburg explained.

Following the incident, Eskom insisted on the municipality making an upfront payment as it is one of the municipalities in the province sitting with a huge debt to the national power utility.

As at end June, Ngwathe’s overdue debt to Eskom totalled R1.89 billion.

Eskom says this debt continues to grow as current accounts are not paid in full.

“Ngwathe’s non-adherence to payment conditions and negligence in protecting the power system, jeopardises Eskom’s financial sustainability as well as the security of supply to the residents of towns such as Parys and Vredefort.

“Supply to Ngwathe will be restored to the capacity as per the contracted NMD.

“Risks of overloading and consequent damage remain, and it is imperative that the municipality invests in upgrading its supply,” according to the power company. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading


Mangaung electricity tariffs up



POWER TARIFFS UP . . . Local power distributor Centlec has hiked electricity charges

Electricity tariffs in Mangaung have gone up by 7.47 percent.

In a statement released on Thursday night, local power distributor Centlec said the increase was due to come into effect at midnight on July 1 following approval by the National Electricity Regulator of South Africa.

The increase will cover the period July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.

“A guideline increase of 7.47 percent on electricity tariffs for Centlec was therefore approved with effect from the 1st of July 2022 for the 2022/23 financial year,” read part of the brief statement.

It said a more detailed outline of the increases will be announced soon. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading


CUT students arrested for protesting against exams



DISTURBANCE AT CAMPUS . . . Five students protesting against exams at the Central University of Technology in Bloemfontein have been arrested

Police have arrested five students from the Central University of Technology (CUT) for public violence after they embarked on an unsanctioned protest against the institution’s decision to have the mid-year exams conducted in person at its two campuses in Bloemfontein and Welkom starting this Thursday.

The exams are set to run until July 20.

The fracas follows an announcement by CUT acting vice-chancellor and principal Professor Alfred Ngowi on Wednesday in which he stated the exams would take place physically at the two campuses as scheduled.

Ngowi said a detailed discussion about online exams at the Welkom campus concluded that it would not be feasible to conduct online exams because circumstances have changed regarding the COVID-19 restrictions and that it was also against the policy of the university.

“CUT is a full-contact institution and not a distance learning institution and therefore does not have the authority to accredit examinations that are not done under CUT’s status as a full-contact institution,” said Ngowin in a recorded video.

Ngowi told the students that academic assessment is one of the important building blocks of their qualifications.

He warned the students against disrupting the exams saying they would face disciplinary action as such action will be illegal.

“The unreliability of the power supply may have unintended disruptive effects,” he said.

“The COVID-19 restrictions which necessitated virtual classes and virtual assessments have all been suspended and the various accrediting bodies to which CUT is affiliated may not accredit online assessments.

“Therefore, we will proceed with physical assessments.

“Management has made all necessary preparations for the smooth running of the mid-year assessments, which have been communicated to all students.

“Therefore, any student who plans to disrupt the physical examinations on our campuses must be aware of the legal and disciplinary consequences.

“In addition, the CUT management has put several measures in place to protect the constitutional rights of all our students who are prepared for and prefer to sit for physical assessments.

“Students must be aware that any disruptions of the planned and scheduled assessments are illegal and unlawful, and students who act outside the law will have to face the consequences of their actions.

“Students further need to note that failing the upcoming academic assessments will directly impact their NSFAS funding status.

“No further funding will be available to NSFAS-funded students who fail the assessments or fail to take the upcoming assessments.”

But, in a statement, members of the South African Student Congress (SASCO) at the university argued that since all assessments had taken place online due to the COVID-19 restrictions, “it is only normal that the exams take place online as well”.

SASCO also argued that some students had not received their allowances from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and it would therefore be impossible for them to write their exams in a physical setting.

But Ngowi addressed the matter earlier in the same video: “As previously communicated through the Student Representative Council, NSFAS-funded students who still have unresolved challenges with their accommodation are encouraged to make written submissions to the relevant faculty deans in that regard.”

Park Road police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Thabo Covane said members of Public Order Police Unit arrested five male students for public violence at the CUT’s Bloemfontein campus on Thursday morning.

He said the group of protesting students was warned by the operational commander to disperse within a given time as they were contravening the conditions stipulated in an issued court order but refused to do so.

“The protesting students became violent and started throwing stones and bottles at the police and the security officers,” said Covane.

“The police used stun grenades to disperse the crowd. The other group ran into King Edward Street and blocked traffic by placing stones on the road.

“Police then arrested the five students with ages ranging from 18 to 22 years.”

The arrested students are expected to appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Monday facing charges of public violence and contravening a court order. – Staff Reporter

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2022. The Free Stater. All Rights Reserved